Sports luxe is fashion’s latest buzzword. Everyone from King Karl and Alexander Wang to Stella McCartney, Prada and Jeremy Scott are playing for this team so how could our homegrown labels be far behind? A volley of Indian designers like Nishka Lulla, Huemn, Masaba, Surendri and GaGa by Tanya Sharma among others have jumped on the sportswear bandwagon too.
It was the 2012 London Olympics that really put the ball in this trend’s court. Then came wimbeldon and FIFA fever and there was no looking back. There’s a lot to choose from when it comes to sportswear-inspired western wear — varsity jumpers, silk bombers, leather joggers, statement sweatshirts and the works. But the real challenge for the desi girl is to incorporate this style into her traditional wardrobe as well. So we decided to coach you on just how to bring your A-game to the field. Are you ready to play?
- The most important rule is that comfort is your key player. Your ensemble should be laid-back and one that allows you to move around easily.
- Sportswear inspired fashion moves much beyond jersey. Think reimagined luxe materials like neoprene, silk, leather, lycra, mesh and sheer panels with a smattering of embellishments.
- The easiest way to try this trend is to give your sari blouse a sporty spin. You can swap it for a jersey-inspired crop top from your favourite high street label. Or get your neighbourhood tailor to make you one that is loose and comfortable. Sequinned renditions are not off limits either.
- Skip those tight churidars and opt for something that’s more relaxed. Desi joggers or loose drawstring pants are a good idea. Since your bottom will be free flowing, opt for a more structured top.
- And then there are sneakers and Converse shoes. We’d suggest them with everything from saris and lehengas to suits. It’s not a simple look to pull off, so wear it with a generous helping of confidence!
- Say yes to lots of layering too. Cropped jackets over cholis or tunics and sheer skirts over pants will give your sporty look a sophisticated touch.
- Give your lehenga a sporty spin by teaming it with a heavily embellished bomber jacket. Not only will you look wildly chic but turn a lot of heads too!
So what’s your take on this trend? Are you in it to win it?
Praachi Raniwala for Luxemi